William Otto

William Otto
Playing catch with Daddy!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Tough Week

This has been a tough week so far. Will has been sick and was in the hospital Tuesday and Wednesday. The perpetual question is; was it just the flu or an EE flare up? I think he is having an EE flare up. He is throwing up constantly, but no other symptoms. He acts fine other than throwing up, no diarrhea, no fever etc. He is on Zofran right now and he is still throwing up, just not quite as much as before. He has lost a pound and he is only tolerating Pedialite right now. So frustrating. We just got him up to the 10th percentile for his weight and now he is plummeting again even with having a feeding tube.
I think the next step is going to be to do a surgery called a Nissen fundoplication. It is where the upper part of the stomach is wrapped around the lower part of the esophagas and stiched into place. It is done so that the patient no longer is able to throw up. More information can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_fundoplication
I am really hoping to avoid this surgery. I don't know why, but it really scares me. They talked about Will having it done back in November when he had his feeding tube put in, but Matt and I were not ready to take that drastic of a step yet.
Please pray that Will is not going to need this done. I feel like I am reaching my wits end this week with all of his medical problems. EE, GERD, sub-glottic stenosis. When will it get easier? When will this start to feel normal? Does it ever?
I will try to update more later, right now we are playing it by ear. I am suppose to call his G.I. doctor today to update him, but I am honestly scared to because I don't want him to tell me that we need to head back down to Grand Rapids for another surgery this week. Will is 17 months and he has already had six surgeries and he has been sedated eight times. ::sigh::

No comments:

Post a Comment